I strongly believe that one does not need to buy new clothes every time one goes online or to a mall. We, as a consumer society, need to realize that more is NOT better. We do not create better outfits just because our closets are bursting out. Most clothing brands and retailers try to convince us that we need that new sweater or that trendy dress. That is their business model, the faster they deliver new lines and items, the easier it is to convince us that we need something new. Retailers constantly advertise the new colors, new shapes, new materials, must-have looks, new seasonal items, and celebs endorsed pieces. But, this is all just marketing! No one needs that much clothes to look edgy, stylish, fresh, and on trend. All we need to do is realize that clothing brands and stores tricking us into thinking that we have to buy; whereas, in reality, we are better off not.
“Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.” Coco Chanel.
We need to think critically about every item in our closets or new additions to it and spend money well. Organized, modest, and well thought out collection of clothes is the best present you can give yourself. When your closet is organized and well maintained, your mornings will become that much brighter. You will spend less time on ravaging through your closet and saying: I have nothing to wear. And more time admiring your selection in a mirror before smiling and heading out for a day.
There are few items that, I believe, are critical for anyone’s closet. These staple items will help create polished look every time. They will also make your life easier since these are versatile enough to work well together or with other items in your closet.
- The most iconic look nowadays is a white t-shirt tucked into jeans. Many celebs rock this look now. It is so simple and inexpensive that it is a crime not to recreate it yourself. When you buy white tee make sure you follow the set of rules in my FIT post. You will look original, polished, and at ease in any situation.
- Dark wash jeans are a perfect basic to keep by your side. It is a classic that works with any outfit whether you are running after your dog or kid, grocery shopping, or going out. With properly fitted jeans your look is guaranteed to turn heads.
- Jacket. This can be a leather jacket for some or a blazer for others. I am a fan of blazers. I have a few in different colors and from various materials. Blazer makes your outfit look sharp and stylish. You can wear it anytime you need to add elegance and sophistication to the look. Leather jacket, on the other hand, creates edgy and original look. Pick one or the other, if you have to choose, depending on your overall style.
- LBD. Another favorite of mine is a black dress. It is SO versatile and convenient. You can wear it to formal dinners, work events, date nights, client meetings, and happy hours. Also, the right black dress will help create a slim look. I would invest in a relatively expensive black dress as it will become your favorite go-to option.
- Knit top. I have many different knit tops. They are so convenient for a busy mom’s schedule. I wear them to work, play dates, shopping, happy hours, and family visits/trips. They require little maintenance and care. They are an easy item to travel with and can be layered and styled in so many different ways. They can be worn with jeans and sneaker or skirt and heels.
- Trench coat. I love coats! I have one trench coat, and I absolutely love it. it is dark burgundy color from a flowy material that creates a polished, yet, easy look. You need one no matter what. Whether you are traveling or not. It is a basic staple that is easy to layer and an instant style upgrade.
- Knee length skit. If you are not a fan of skirts, get just one — a knee length skirt in black or some other dark color. You can work it into many work related outfits when you need to meet clients, deliver a presentation, or be a part of a formal work event.
- Turtleneck. My old time favorite is turtleneck. I have a few and pair them with jeans or skirt. I don’t have to worry when I am bending over to pick up my kid or a pile of documents in the office. Also, I like to layer a few pieces of jewelry together, and turtlenecks are perfect since they fully cover your chest and do not disturb the flow with neck lines.
- Shoes have a special place in my heart. One day I will write a post about all the shoes that I have… Back to this post… Black mid height heels are a must. They can be worn with jeans or dresses. They are classical, yet can transform any outfit into elevated elegant look.
- Nude color flats will be your go to for many occasions. They are worth to be invested in. If you can, buy a nice pair of shoes. They will last you a while and look awesome. I love well made footwear, not only it looks good, but also, your feet will thank you. You spend most of your day in shoes, so make sure that you treat yourself and your feet to a good pair.
- A good pair of sneakers is a great back up to have. They are your must-haves for any weekend or errands runs. Again, buy a nice pair and enjoy for many years to come.
Sunglasses and bags are accessories that are nice to have but their absence will not ruin your outfit. Just please, do not stuff your pockets with wallet, keys, or cell phone. If you are on the budget go for timeless looks and shapes when it comes to sunglasses and bags. Do not try to follow every trend. Trends change and you will be, noticeably, behind if you buy very edgy-cutting item. I suggest to buy classics like aviators or wide stylish cut frames. Bags are very personal. They can be big or small, plain or patterned, leather or other material. Again, examine your wardrobe critically to make sure that your bag will go with majority of your outfits. I suggest getting something medium size in black or brown leather. These colors work well with many looks and they will last you a while.
This post turned out longer than I thought it would. Well, I hope this helps, and you were able to at least skim through it. I strongly believe that if you follow at least some of my suggestions your looks will improve significantly.
Have an awesome day,